When we moved into our home a few years ago, a few of the rooms had linoleum flooring. One of the rooms that really bothered me was our girls bathroom. I knew I wanted to redo it but I didn’t want to spend a ton of money, its upstairs and doesn’t get a lot of traffic. I got this genius idea from one of my friends on Instagram to paint it. I’m really not one for DIY projects but this floor was really getting to me.
So I will start by saying this project did turn out to be a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be, it was a lot of work. I worked on it over a span of 3 days, a few hours the first night, a full afternoon about 6 hours the second, and then an hour or so the third day. The total cost was about $100, and for new flooring that worked for me. So I’ll give you a supply list and some step by step instructions so you can try it out yourself.
1 can Zinsser Bulls Eye 1.2.3. Primer
1 small can Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Linen White
1 small can Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Charcoal
1 can Polycrylic Water Based Sealant in Clear Satin
4 Soft Foam Mini Rollers and 4 Paint Trays (a new one for each paint step)
Stencil (I got mine from Etsy-Pearl Design Studio, and ordered 2)
- On night one I cleaned the floor, allowing it to dry completely. While waiting for it to dry, I taped off the floor. Then, I rolled on a coat of primer and allowed that to dry an hour. Next, I rolled on the white chalk paint, and allowed that to dry. The floor may take 2-3 coats of the chalk paint. I was impatient, so I did 2 coats and it came out fine.
- Day two was all stenciling. For me this was the longest and most difficult part. Our floor was linoleum look alike tile and had 9×9 squares, so I ordered a 9×9 stencil so that I could apply the pattern to each existing square. I started in the corner with the first full square, and already having the tiles in the floor pattern allowed me to keep it straight, I would imagine this would be harder if our floor didn’t already have that. I made sure I held down the stencil as best I could and rolled the charcoal chalk paint, being sure to not have too much paint on the roller. For me, I kept ending up with paint under the stencil no matter how careful I was. So in between each square I had to wipe the stencil off with baby wipes which was super time consuming and left me with imperfections in my pattern. I think it was due to the large size of the stencil and I think it might of been easier with a smaller one. If you end up with a drip or a small mistake, you can wipe it right away with a wet wipe. I did all of the full squares first and then went around and did the outer ones and around the toilet, at this point I was able to cut the stencils as needed. I allowed this step to dry for about 4 hours, then applied the first coat of poly and allowed that to dry overnight.
- Day three I applied 2 more coats of poly, letting it dry a few hours in between. A few things to remember when applying the poly is to try and go in the same direction when rolling, and don’t have too much product on the roller.
You can see the before and after pictures above, it definitely made a huge difference. I do LOVE the way it came out but I can’t say that I would do it again, but then again this was the only linoleum floor we had left…thank goodness. I do know that if I can do it, you sure can! It has been done for a few weeks now and so far so good, no chipping or peeling at all…knock on wood. So whether this is a project that you have had in mind for a while or just realized painting your flooring was even an option, then I hope this helps. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions and don’t forget to let me know what you think.